Sunday, June 20, 2010

Dear Papi,

It's that time of year again. Father's Day. I dislike this holiday. To tell the truth it used to be my favorite holiday besides Christmas which is also my dad's birthday. I haven't talked to my dad since 2009 after he left me and mother. He was on drugs for a little while but then went to rehab. After completing rehab he left us b/c of something terrible he did to my older sister when she was 8. He molested her when he was high on coke one night. I wasn't born yet but it still hit me inside that my father wasn't perfect. In my eyes as a child my papi NEVER was a imperfect man. He was knowledgeable and very funny. We joked about almost everything.We spent time together as home watching The Simpsons (which has always been my favorite show). My mom and I had our own lil relationship but it was no where near as close as my dad and I. Before I ever asked my mom to chaperone my field trips in elementary school, I'd ask my dad, and he always said yes. When we took trips to Florida to visit his family, I would always go with him anywhere he went. I was his youngest child. He joked that I was the one getting the money in the will. Or that I was the only one he was gonna pay college for. He was my best friend. He never hurt me. Until that week b4 my 16th birthday when my sister finally spoke about what he did to her as a child. I never look at him as my hero again. He looked dumb to me. I finally forgave him but inside I can't help but to see that man I once knew as a child was gone. There are just a few words I'd say to him.

                             This is the last time I saw you papi. Remember I had gotten a new camera that you bought me? We were out eating dinner just like the old days. Just me and you. I miss you buddy and I wish you could see that even though you messed up, I forgive you. You said that sometimes you gotta put what was in the past behind you and move on to the future because God may make it a brighter day. Well I hope God made your day bright today, wherever you are. Happy Father's Day Papa Clarence.
I love you so much.

- Your Lil Fathead

No comments:

Post a Comment